The Holy Grail of Generic Domain Names
The most powerful of all premium domain names are those that have multiple meanings *and* can be used in different parts of speech.
Taglines with double meanings are extremely memorable because of the ability to elicit an emotional response. The same is true for dictionary words that can be used in different parts of speech because of the unlimited ways they can be creatively integrated into marketing campaigns.
Together, the ability to effectively establish brand recall and loyalty – the end goal of all marketing efforts – is like no other.
It is an extremely rare competitive advantage to have.
“Companies spend millions … by incorporating music, sounds, images, vivid color and celebrities to trigger huge sensory responses towards their product, company or innovation. An emotional response towards a name is the human-to-brand connection that is sought after like the Holy Grail. If customers feel drawn to something, loyalty … is sure to follow.” – Kyra Dawson
Stephen Houraghan explains the science behind this phenomenon.
“When you have a double meaning within a tagline, your brain … makes neural connections from one meaning to the other. Because of the way the brain makes those connections, it stores that tagline in a different part of the brain. By creating a dual connection within your tagline, you’re helping the way the brain stores that tagline, ultimately making it more memorable and more effective.”
This website began as an offline business network in Asia that expanded worldwide with just 1 FTE and no marketing budget. How was that possible? When people – be they members, corporate partners, ad sponsors, the media, etc. – see or hear the word “oriented”, they can intuitively guess what it is about, remember it, and thus refer it to others.
Domain Valuation of oriented.com
Particularly effective is the tagline, “Get oriented to the Orient!“
It is a very clever play on words, and it almost always elicits humor and smiles. That ability – the ability to elicit a positive, emotional response – together with the instant credibility that one-word domains command, was key to significant opportunities, growth, and expansion.
Examples of Usage:
- ORIENTED in Shanghai (view)
- ORIENTED in Silicon Valley (view)
- ORIENTED Happy Hours (view)
- ORIENTED on the Radio with Real Time Beijing (view)
- ORIENTED in the News (view)
- ORIENTED Monster Martini (view)
- ORIENTED at the Grand Hyatt Taipei (view)
- ORIENTED Advertisers (view)
- ORIENTED Sponsorship (view)
- “If you’re not ORIENTED, you’re not anywhere!” (view)
- ORIENTED in Sydney (view)
- ORIENTED T-Shirts (view)
- ORIENTED with Otterbox (view)
- ORIENTED with the South China Morning Post (view)
- ORIENTED Newsletters (view)
- ORIENTED Events Calendar (view)
- ORIENTED with the Beijing Chambers of Commerce (view)
- ORIENTED Dialogue & Exchange (view)
- ORIENTED Standee (view)
- ORIENTED with CKGSB in Asia Pacific (view)
- ORIENTED with CKGSB in North America (view)
It’s the gift that keeps on giving – itself a double entendre.
- The Holy Grail of Generic Domain Names
- The Power Six Elements
- Mind Share Increases Sales
- Mind Share Equals Market Share
- Why Domain Names Matter
- Value of a Premium Domain Name
- Chinese Companies, Global Domain Names
- Generic Domain Names Are Golden
- Characteristics of Premium Domain Names
Back to Introduction: